Linuxblog Introduction: We took an average windows user, gave her a handful of distributions of Linux, and forced her to use each distro for one week. We gave her alsaconf, email servers, and mounted her windows partition to the fresh install. Then, we faded away and quietly watched her in her new environment. You too can join us by reading on…
1)Look/Feel – I was impressed right off the bat with the look and feel of PC Linux OS. It’s much more professional looking than the others I’ve looked at, very clean and sleek. It could still use a little more flair, but I felt very comfortable looking at the desktop, it was by no means second rate. I like that they have the icon “Home” instead of the confusing one’s that others tend to use.Â All in all it was very user friendly. Once again, I was disappointed that I did not get to experiment with the Gnome desktop because it was not included in the software. I understand that with a lot of work, I could install it, but that is way beyond me. Still, I had fun with this one. (Score – 9)
2) Performance – Very fast. My husband tells me that PCLinuxOS is optimized for our computer. Whatever. But it gets me a desktop 5 seconds after I type in my user/password and that is the fastest I’ve seen. I’ve had no problems whatsoever. (Score – 10)
3)Hardware/Software – Everything that I needed was right there when I needed it. As mentioned in my initial impression, I was thrilled to find that Limewire is standard with this distro. I was so impressed with downloading files in Linux that I don’t think I will ever download files with Windows again. I’ve also decided that it’s ok for Mr. Devnet to set us up with a permanent Linux desktop in our house. He was very happy to finally have my approval. My mouse still doesn’t work properly but I think this is a browser problem (so I’ve been told). (Score – 10)
4)Upgradeability/Security – I’m going to stop pretending that I have a clue about these issues. Since they don’t affect anything I’ve done so far, it’s only fair to give them a 10. Okay, so maybe that’s not fair but this is my review! (Score – 10)
5)Documentation – Their community website looks to covers all bases, as far as someone like me can tell. It was very well organized and I couldn’t help but notice the reader survey on their homepage. I think the new tux looks more professional but the old one is cuter. (Score – 10)
6)Installation – Took less than fifteen minutes. There seemed to be some confusing things that I would not have understood on my own having to do with partitions. Yeah, I have no idea. There should be an option to just use the entire disk like there is in the distros I’ve seen before. (Score – 8 )
And now…once again…it is time for my criteria…
1) Mail – We used Kontact, same as before. No problems and very easy to use. (Score – 10)
2) Internet – I’m getting to where I don’t even like Internet Explorer anymore. I now use Firefox even in windows (which is a relief to mr.devnet and, he says, our antivirus as well) (Score – 10)
3) Listening To Music – I used a lot more of the different multimedia players this time. I decided that I really do not like Amarok, it’s just too difficult to figure out. I think my favorite is Xine. It sounds great and it’s really easy to use. Regardless of the one I chose, my files were always easy to locate thanks to the “Home” icon on the desktop. Not to mention there wasn’t any confusing stuff on the desktop like last time with MEPIS. (Score – 10)
4) Download Music/Files – I think my feelings are apparent. (Score – 10)
5) Burning CDs – Again, my feelings about burning cds in Linux are clear. As long as K3b is already there and I don’t have to install it, I’m a happy girl. PCLinuxOS has everything I need already installed and ready to go. (Score – 10)
Okay, so I’m biased. At least I came to this conclusion on my own. I promise, I’d never even heard of this distro before I reviewed it. That’s odd because I have heard of all the others. I purposely block out everything that people say to me about each one, especially Mr. Devnet, because I want these reviews to be exclusively what I think.
Guess what? Mrs. Devnet thinks PCLinuxOS ROCKS!! It makes everything I need to do simple AND it’s easy on the eyes. It serves my purpose, bottom line. This is exacty what Linux needs to draw average users. It’s easy to do the things that we NEED to do, first and foremost. After that, it opens the door for us to learn and become just a little bit more than the average user—which will make us feel really special. Unless something unexpected happens, this is probably going to be my favorite, the one I will use, and that deserves an OVERALL SCORE OF 10 in my book because I never thought I’d WANT to use Linux. All this from a distro still in it’s test phase is truly amazing. I’ll be excited to see what’s next.
Oh God, does this make me a nerd?
PCLinuxOS .81 Scores: 10 out of 10